Monday, November 16, 2009

In the red corner...

The issue of paper vs. computers is a simple one. Computers keep everything simple, ecologically friendly, and easily archival. Paper is a great brainstorming technique and mind-mapping tool. The biggest question I have is why? Why doesn't the technology we have today just completely take over? Gladwell, in his article explains paper as "This idea that paper facilitates a highly specialized cognitive and social process is a far cry from the way we have historically thought about the stuff." In other words, and I know that the quote didn't flow well into the sentence, paper is a tangible thing. We can feel it, move it, see it, smell it, and in some strange cases, taste it. Although computers can't really hold that aesthetic value, they are extremely organized. For example, my mac automatically downloads all the documents for this class into a "downloads" folder. Then, by simply clicking and dragging the icons, i can move them into a folder labeled, "ENG 5080," and then everything is there. I dont have to print out the articles an waste paper. If the article can be transfered to Microsoft Word, I can annotate using that program. If not... well then i have my notebook.

Im not trying to make a case for the computer, I'm simply admiring the changes that are occurring and eagerly biting my nails in the anticipation of a digital world. My dad is a computer engineer so I've grown up with gadgets and electronics my whole life. However, the idea of paper and the value that it holds as a simple, simple tool is all to hard to ignore.

If we take the previous example and turn the digital files into real paper, then the process to organize takes much much longer. It is not a simple click and drag process, it becomes a print-it-out, walk-it-to-the-file-cabinet, dig-to-organize-it ordeal. Ok, "ordeal" may be an overstatement but the process becomes something of seconds to minutes. Paper, as voluminous as it may be, is still the simpler tool. To takes notes on a computer would require a plug in a wall, turning the damned thing on, hoping it doesn't crash, break, or light on fire, opening up the note-taking program, and then finally taking notes. With a piece of paper and a pencil, the hassle is almost non-existent.

The case can go both ways. Personally, I usually have my notebook right along side my laptop.


1 comment:

  1. Whenever I think of the advancements in print technology, Star Trek comes to mind for some reason. I guess it’s ingrained in my brain from being raised in a house that watched The Next Generation every week without fail. When the Kindle first came out, I was reminded by the handheld computers that the officers of The Enterprise used. The death of the book and paper may be closer than we think. The invention of touch screen technology may offer an alternative to test and note taking. It may not be soon, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this happened in the next 100 years with the way computer technology is advancing.

    ReplyDelete